Friday, June 25, 2010

The Rise of Plastics

Imagine being in a world full of gorgeous people. Doesn't it feels like heaven?

The world today sees beautiful people in a different way. And when I say beautiful, I refer to both men and women. Many would probably agree that if a person has a chiseled nose, voluptuous lips, perfectly white teeth, glowing and blemish-free skin (disregarding the color), sexy body, perfect jawline, they would say that he/she is gorgeous. Aesthetically speaking, they are really perfect, I would say.



Because of this notion, people desires to have an Angelina Jolie-like or Tom Cruise-like face. Even I am guilty of being envious of those people who are perfect in the eyes of the society. And from this desire, the world has gave way to the rise of Plastics by undergoing Plastic Surgery, as well as my interest on that notion.

As a growing teen, I am really into Plastic Surgery for the fact that I see myself ugly during those times (since I don't have a chiseled-like nose and perfectly white teeth), and envious to the people I see in television (especially those Korean guys). In fact I even made a study of it as my term paper back when I was in third year high school. I was actually influenced by media and the reality TV show called "Extreme Makeover," where the participants undergo Plastic Surgery to become beautiful and acceptable in the society, especially in the United States where many young people are so obsessed of being beautiful or handsome. They are so conscious of their appearance that some go under the knife.


(She was an Extreme Makeover participant)

Speaking of Korean stars, if I'm not mistaken, they have the most number of people undergoing Plastic Surgery. I even read in an article that by the time they reach 16 years old, their parents are actually the ones who are forcing them to go under the knife. Can you believe it?! And for the record, I think that majority of the Korean stars had undergone Plastic Surgery that's why they really look so attractive.


(Park Min Young)


(Hyo Yeon of Girls Generation)



Because of Korea's obsession for an aesthetically-enhanced beauty, they had coined the term "ulzzang," meaning "best face." In the internet, there have been competitions for ulzzang people, and even other nationalities like Americans, Filipinos, Chinese, and Japanese are also participating in it. Because of that popularity, many people dream of having an "ulzzang looks" because it makes them really cute, especially when they portray the innocent look, the teary-eyed look, or the pouting of lips, which became the trademark of ulzzang people. And for them, this is a stepping stone to their showbiz dream in Korea.


(An ulzzang girl with teary-eyed looks)

Not only that, Plastic Surgery has also gained popularity even in third world countries like the Philippines and Thailand. Actually Thailand became really well-known for being the most affordable when it comes to Plastic Surgery, that's why it gave way to the so-called "Medical Tourism," which boosts their tourism industry. They not only perform rhinoplasty or breast augmentation, they also perform sex change (bizarre, right?).


(The evolution of Parinya Charoenphol, a former Muay Thai star)

In the Philippines, many actors and actresses also had undergone Plastic Surgery handled by the most prominent Plastic surgeons in the country such as Dra. Vicky Belo and Drs. Manny & Pie Calayan. No wonder many local stars have those perfect face, glowing skin, and sexy body like these endorsers:


(Claudine Barreto)


(Piolo Pascual as Belo endorser)

(Katrina Halili)

(and the creator, Dra. Vicky Belo in her 50's and still looking young)

If you can notice the similarities of these aesthetically-enhanced people, they have white skin and chiseled-like nose because many Filipinos sees "white is beautiful" and I was once guilty of it. Many Filipinos have been patronizing these people because they look attractive. The tendency is that, many are using glutathione in order to be whiter and many are also undergoing rhinoplasty or nose job in order to look more mestizo. However, the cons would probably be the danger or the risk of these kind of surgery because anything that goes through the body which is unnecessary is carcinogenic, meaning, the risk of cancer is higher.

But what can we do if this is the trend in this era, right? As long as they're happy, then let's just respect them because even if they are being judged and mocked, at the end of the day they are still beautiful. Besides, undergoing Plastic Surgery will definitely boosts ones confidence and self-esteem. So I'm not against it, and probably I'll end up "going under the knife" too (when I'm rich). LOL!


(And this will probably how I will look like. LOL!)

Images got from:
  • https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZLbeZTh4EHALP8qttphgyN-w_ZGIghLpA4K7IfrdXfYHOnO-4PX9p77Er385pDqVqLIFj4dSfKe_TVZUcr8TtuNNxGzZ9O0WaKmvzbUeahMWZO_Y0w7NysQVfNi9ZpNofcUlBYpqq4SA/s400/Alice_ashely_greene.jpg
  • http://explosivechutney.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/extreme-makeover.jpg
  • http://img2.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/08262008/2/1/9/f/219f0d3ec344d0_full.png
  • http://img2.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/08262008/8/9/b/c/89bcd07e9445c0_full.jpg
  • http://mamabum88.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/1au.jpg
  • https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh6d5R11se6XzYaSaLLIkBPqv0TGhNXosjwVzksZGO5AYb4lhO6uYLHRT1YoGSILKKAW64xRFerP_w0zuj_espMXCM03PSBg1op_BMRQdOy0KRuI_usa1VU7kFqYL5E2KNj-7Ua4-t-dMkc/s400/ulzzang.jpg
  • https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg1ya0f7VF5LZMWFtIHamoE6KLCCKO26ULnZeITyep5lzkHlBgsmqMG9gucSE071qtIYOSkzJqAxPRREAuWbk1JwCL2YFUdJjRhOXpGICJnGLRGfv7AZGzWwVtMqM9JH1isgE8HN9i6baA/s400/3406897679_685827a4f7_o.jpg
  • https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhqJB4qYw1jGrXHIofQehkwUXVdDaYuaPn6QMfSK38BdcprPxozL-5SBJp4WjYpsfz2m3n9A-Bon8T7seMHqY2RI7E1QT13jtIETZqnN4p92ET1fwbWlhWRJjiJEt0cGTR5PQjG_DMbM28/s320/claudine-225x300.jpg
  • http://www.piolopascual.net/wp-content/uploads/piolobelomedical.jpg
  • http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BpgCc7fXp28/S0BF_9gu80I/AAAAAAAAF10/wU5vRyNHqg0/s400/katrina+halili.jpg
  • http://www.whynotcoconut.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/20091008101039715_beasarah_front.jpg
  • http://mandmdebatetheuniverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/vicki-belo.jpg

6 comments:

  1. This article is cool, I'm just about to write this phenomenal.I've envied them too these ulzzang people, but I don't want to give up myself and lie under knives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! HAHA! I find plastic surgery really interesting, but I don't think I will undergo it for it's really costly!!! Ulzzang people are so cute that I want to imitate them. Too bad, my features doesn't resemble any of them for I am a Filipino, not Korean, Japanese, or Chinese. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm. Plastic surgery in Korea is way too overdramatized. The majority of young Korean girls, despite the rising popularity of plastic surgery, do NOT undergo surgery. Or even wear make up.

    It's like if someone watched 09210 and thought all of America was like that. No. Even within the k celeb industry, there are plenty of naturals: kim tae hee, song hye gyo, all of Miss A, seohyun yoona from SNSD, gyuri, han seung yeon, nicole, and the magnae from Kara, all of 2ne1 minus bom, all of f(x), etc etc.

    I also think that plastic surgery in the Philippines, or Thailand, or wherever is definitely not as prominent as the media/netizens sensationalize it to be. There are beautiful people who don't go under the knife... -_-;

    And that picture of the article saying Korean guys go under the knife--Goo Jun Pyo or Lee Min Ho is his real name--he's COMPLETELY natural. So is Kim Bum are Natural. Look up their school pics. Most Korean dudes in the celeb industry are natural, actually because single eyelids on guys is considered attractive (jo in sung, bi, g-dragon, taeyang, etc.) And there are those Korean dudes with naturally big eyes like TOP and gys from mblaq or b2st.

    The majority of Korean stars have not gone under surgery. I'm serious. Esp if you're counting all the actors, actresses, and idols. Makeup and hair can also do wonders. A lot of K celebs HAVE undergone surgery, but plenty more haven't.

    I'm sure that's the case with most countries. Also, recently, Korea's starting to scout for sure-fire natural beauties because they're tiring of any plastic versions. And with all the reallyyy young girl groups debuting, you can't really get surgery. I mean, they're in elementary school.

    So there's my two cents.

    Lastly, I leave you with some proof, there's a tone more out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st7ningxkVo

    and snsd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qQlGb20o8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there agirlwithbigdreams, well actually I have been to Seoul, South Korea myself for a tour and yes you are right that make-ups do the wonders of making them beautiful (There are actually bunch of cosmetic products store there like Etude, Face Shop, etc). But you see, according to our Korean tour guide, most Korean artists, even Lee Min Ho, has undergone cosmetic surgery. Even Sandara Park. Who wouldn't believe a Korean native who knows a lot of information, right? And also according to her, upon entering showbiz in Korea, it is automatic and artists understood that they will and should undergo Cosmetic Surgery even if it is just a small surgery (like eyelids or nose jobs) or even the most extreme ones. Actually even some regular citizens of Korea has done it. I've seen lots of them while I was in Korea. That's all. And thanks by the way for reading my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often get complimented for my looks. but I really don't feel that confident. I am costa rican american (dad, american mom, costa rican) And I was born in california. I often (actually all the time) wished I got my dads light eyes, there like bluish with some yellow specks. I feel it would have made me so exotic looking, since a lot of people say I look spanishy with medium brown hair naturally golden light brown highlights, and plump lips, during the summer when I tan I think light eyes would have looked a lot more striking then my brown ones :/ & against my dark lashes. I also wished I had a perfect fairy nose, cute small. I hate my nose. It has no bump its not fat or hooked roman. its not horrible however as you said in your article Alot of us strive perfection and being beautiful in a crowd of people. So yes that is why I dream of a cute nose. infact me and my best friend want it SO much we have a plan when we're 21 we'll have enough money saved to go to california and get a nose job in beverly hills. probably won't happen, but I'm determined -_-
    I also wish my eyes were more pulled I think eyes like that are so pretty :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you Amands. I always wish to have other traits that I don't have. Here in the Philippines, since majority of us have black-dark brown eyes, many have desired to look Caucasian by wearing blue, gray, or green contact lenses. But in reality, they're not Caucasian. I was (emphasis on the was) also into rhinoplasty, but when I realized how I am loved by many people no matter how I look, I felt special, I felt unique, I felt handsome. You see, it's all in the mind. Probably you have the so-called BDD or Body Dysmorphic Disorder that makes you like that. I did have that and I'm trying my very best to rule over it because it will only make me insecure and not confident with myself. Dear, I think you have to think that you are Beautiful, always think of it that way. You are unique in your own way just like me. If you will notice on my newer blog "Loving the imperfect side of me," I'm fighting my way to get rid of this BDD. So I hope you do the same thing even though it's really hard not to compare ourselves to others. Think of it. =)

    ReplyDelete