Thursday, May 23, 2013

Life Transitions as a Ground Steward

Wow I can't believe that it's been seven months now since I wrote my last blog. I guess I've been really busy with work that I didn't have time anymore to write stuff. Thank God for giving me this break (well it's not really a vacation because I'm on a sick leave for a week!). And since I'm stuck at home for my recovery, I decided to write about the changes in my life not being a student anymore.

I've been working as a Customer Service Agent (aka Ground Steward or Airport Staff) for nearly six months now at NAIA Terminal 2 under our flag carrier. And all I can say is that ever since I started stepping my foot on that world, my life has completely changed.

(photo courtesy of Ms. Angel Lantin)

Firstly, my schedule is insane. I usually wake up at 11:00 in the evening because I have to be at the airport before 2:30 am. Yeah, I'm on an early morning shift from 2:30 am to 11:00 am. It's no different with those who are working in call center companies. But what can I do, right? It's an industry where it is operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At first I was not used to it; I always felt restless and disoriented. My body clock was just against it! Also, I had to refresh my driving skill as there is no way for me to get to the airport from home but to drive early in the morning. Good thing I have my two buddies with me to help with my gas and parking ticket expenses (we're carpooling!).

I only have one day off which kinda sucks (I hope they'll do something about it) especially that my sleeping pattern is different from everybody else at home. Whenever I wake up, my family is asleep and whenever I get home, they are at work. Sometimes, we even don't see each other for some days in a row. Sad, right? Also I don't get the chance to attend Sunday masses anymore with my family because I'm at the airport, working my butt off. My current day off is every Wednesday that's why if I ever get the chance to visit church and pray every Wednesday morning (after my usual morning jog), I do so. I actually got the hang of it already, you know, my daily routine.

I honestly love my job. It's something that I envisioned doing as a kid--being in the airline industry. Although my goal really is to become an international cabin crew, I know that what I'm doing now as a ground steward will greatly contribute to my success in the future. In the present, I know that I've changed a lot. I became more confident in talking to different kinds of people. I also learned to handle different kinds of situations with the right approach. And most importantly, I realized that a warm smile and a positive attitude greatly affect the people I encounter everyday. It actually means a lot for them.

Every time I'm driving, I always ponder on things. Sometimes I even question myself--is this what I really should be doing? I feel that I've sacrificed many things because of my job--my time for family and friends; my hobbies such as writing, swimming, watching movies, and reading books; and my health as well. But despite that, I have to accept the fact that this is my life now. And that I have to be grateful for the blessings that I receive everyday. I may still not have my 'envisioned' life yet, but as the saying goes, just enjoy every moment of life. I know that someday my efforts, dedication, and willingness to learn will bear good fruits and bring me to greater heights.

3 comments:

  1. Carl. I thought you will be becoming a international cabin crew why it change to a ground steward what happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ray! I think you were confused by my blog post "My Flight Attendant Workshop Experience in PAL". It was simply just a 5-day workshop and not a real training as of that of an employed flight attendant. Currently I'm working as a Ground Steward (my very first job since graduating college). And even though that I'm not YET a cabin crew doesn't mean I'm giving up my dream of becoming one. We'll soon get there. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ahhh ok now I understand :) and thats right rich your dream too. I hope that you will gonna be a professional cabin crew soon because you have the determination to become a FS I will support you for that kuya Carl Good luck.

      Delete